Saturday, April 2, 2016

Spring Break Reflections


Oh, Spring Break, how I needed you!  I may have optimistically blogged about a life of balance in January.  It was a good thought.  I just have no clue how to get there!

Now I find I have slogged my way through our late winter rains into this beautiful spring.  Mom, Dad, the dog, and I threw everything but the Easter ham into the car and drove 9ish hours to visit my brother and his boys in Nevada.  Beautiful, isn't it?

I enjoyed a week with nothing more pressing than one more game of Uno with Benjamin (age 12) and the rare Gabriel sighting (age 15) as he emerged from his teen gaming cave.

Yesterday's ride home was a great chance to play the endless show tunes soundtrack in my head (mostly The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music), since dad had the window open for hours making that lovely whap-whap-whap-whap noise that happens when open windows meet 60 mph on a highway.  The view was incredible:  the sparkling blue Trinity River, green trees graduating from oaks to pines to our lovely home redwoods, spring wildflowers in bloom.  It was also a good chance to reflect on where I am and where I am going.  No, not east on highway 299!  With my busy life and direction at school.

Reflection 1:  Where's the pep?  On the last day of school before spring break, I went to a workshop on Goggle apps led by Amy Fadeji.  Let me tell you, this lady has PEP!  And I don't think it's just because she's a tad younger than I am!  I am inspired by her buoyancy and optimism.  I want to be more like that too.  It's awfully easy to get bogged down in all that's not working; to get sucked into other people's drama.  But that truly doesn't help anyone.  It's time to lift those bags under my eyes and remember that there's more going right than going wrong.  There are certainly circumstances that I don't like that I have no control over.  So why do I let them drag me down?  More pep.  More smiles.  More Kindergarten hugs.  That's what I need.

Reflection 2:  Somehow I managed to make it through upper education without getting a post-grad degree.  Not a huge deal unless I ever decide to work outside my county.  I'm a known quantity here--not judged or evaluated by the degrees I've attained, but by the quality of my work.  Yet if I ever work outside this county, I am restricted by the degrees I do not have.  I am seriously thinking about doing an online masters course.  I have no doubt that I CAN do it, but the allocation of time concerns me.  Where in this busy life do I come up with approximately 15 hours each week?  And I throw words like "balance" around?  Well, as usual, I don't have it all figured out yet, nor have I thrown that first big tuition payment out there yet.

Reflection 3:  "High on a hill was a lonely goatherd!"  Did I mention the endless soundtrack in my head?

Refection 4:  Ah, the perennial spring attempt to lose weight before summer!  I'm joining a work-based Weight Watchers group.  We start on Wednesday, but I'm already armed with new plastic bowls for lunch salads and a shopping list filled with fruits, veggies, and lean protein.  :)

Happy spring, everyone.  I wish you luck, long days, and, if we're lucky, a bit of sunshine.  I'll be packing my bags with salad and pep as I head back to school on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment