Sunday, December 27, 2015

Wishes come true

One week into Christmas Break.  Family has come, presents unwrapped, leisurely days enjoyed with nothing more pressing than making more popcorn and watching movies.  And still I wake in the middle of the night, convinced I have forgotten something crucial--let someone down.  It's my principal's version of teacher dreams.  All that concern and responsibility is still floating around in the back of my brain--the volume turned down, but still there.

I recently received a Christmas card from a dear friend, also an administrator.  She wrote, "I pray this next year all your wishes will come true!"  That has me thinking.  What are my wishes?  And why is that such a difficult question?!

Personal wishes:  This is a little easier to define after a week of vacation.  BALANCE!  I must find some time to prioritize time for some exercise and self-care.  I bought a 50 pack of pool passes with the intention to go 1-2 times a week.  (Set the bar low--make it attainable!)  I must unplug and refocus daily, if only for 5-10 minutes.

One of my core values is helping others.  I believe in service and putting a hand to any work that needs doing.  The only problem is that my own stuff finds itself at the bottom of the pile each day, languishing in the land of good intentions.  A life of balance is hard!

Professional:  FOCUS!  I have imminent work to do:  lots of large-scale paperwork, things that cannot be accomplished in one day.  I need to set aside focused time to power through these projects.

Oh!  I just realized I can put something fun in the "wishes come true" category!  I have been working with our local Sunrise Rotary group to get a water bottle refilling station installed in our multi-purpose room at school.  I got a sneak preview--the maintenance department was installing it last week.  I can't wait to introduce this to the kids and start using it.

Well, Blog Fans, here's hoping all your wishes come true in 2016!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Lara! I will join you in the quest for balance! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a toast with a refilled water bottle to giving focus time to yourself this year! All the best to you in 2016. Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited! I just checked and it is all installed and functioning great. :)

      Delete